Thrummed Mittens: SA Jan 22 & 29, 10 am - noon
|Availability:||In stock (5)|
Fluffy on the inside and knitted on the outside! Thrumming is a technique originating in northern Canada that incorporates twists of fiber roving into your knitting to create a thick, insulating layer between your hands and winter’s chill. Learn to create and add thrums into your knitting as we make a pair of highly customizable Friesland Mittens. Sized from Baby all the way through Adult XL, these also make fantastic gift knits.
Two 2 hour classes
Skills needed: cast on, work in the round, increasing & decreasing
- Making thrums
- Two techniques for adding the thrums into the mittens
- Options for working and finishing the mittens
- Yarn: 110-165 yards aran weight yarn (Suggested De Rerum Natura Cyrano)
- 2-4 oz of wool fiber that is not superwash
- You will need US sizes 7 & 8 of your preferred type of needles for small circumferences: DPNs, or ~42-32” / 60-80 cm circular needles for ‘magic loop’, or 8-10” / 20-25 cm shorties
- Progress keeper or stitch marker
- Tapestry Needle
- A copy of Friesland Mittens by Mieka John, available on Ravelry
Cast on and knit the cuff for the first mitten.